Wednesday 22 January 2014

The time I admitted to trying to get on the Barney show.

During lunch today a group of us were discussing our favorite childhood TV shows. I was a Sister Sister fan and always watched Full House. We are all a few years apart which lead to us all having different favorite shows. One of the girls mentioned she watched Barney, faithfully. Which was followed with a comment from yours truly, "I tried to get on that show." Some of the things that come out of my mouth are just embarrassing. My friend, Nicole, says, "What?! That is like the fourth (really 3rd) show you have tried to get on!" So I had some explaining to do....back in 1994 I told my mother that I wanted to be one of those kids who got to play on that awesome play ground and hang out with my dinosaur BFF & sing the I Love You song. So, since my mom is so supportive, we filled out paperwork and sent it in with a cute photo of me, I am sure I was wearing my overalls or something really great. Unfortunately, I didn't get a call back. That did not kill my dreams of getting on TV.




Fast forward to year 2000 when those Family/life Swap shows were a huge hit. I filled out a shit ton of paperwork on line and signed my life away with the hopes to spend 1 week with a different family.
My parents thought they were being hilarious & sneaky when they gave me a letter that "came in the mail" informing me that I had been chosen. They even added a photo of the family I would be spending a week with. I knew it was a joke as soon as my mom started dying laughing. She cannot keep a straight face. I was not falling for it.

Fast forward to 2008 I sent in a bio to Real World with hopes of being one of the 7 strangers picked to live in a house, worked together & have their lives taped.. to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real. I am a little crazy. Well, about 5 months later I got a call back and they requested my presence for round 2 of casting. I wore my favorite outfit and drove my happy ass downtown. They took us into this room 10 people at a time. We sat at a large round table and the discussion began. We were asked to talk about ourselves and some people wouldn't shut up. I was having hot flashes by the time my turn came around. No way was my life is near as crazy as the chick who was a stripper to pay her way through college or a football player who got cut from the team for doing steroids and also claims to hate homosexuals. I was floored by some of the things that were discussed in that room. I started off by saying that I had just graduated from SHSU where I was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and then I rambled on about where I grew up, which was in Deer Park  right next to a bunch of plants. As in, power plants. Everyone thought I grew up in a jungle and people were super confused. Anyways, long story short, I did not make it past the 2nd round. Damn, so much for 3rd time being the charm.

Well, there you have it. I am a hopeful reality TV star. Obviously none of those venues have worked out hence the fact that I work a 8 to 5 job Monday through Friday.

Happy Hump Day!!!!




1 comment: